I also wanted to share this good news. Last week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau gave me new responsibilities by appointing me chair of the cabinet committee on the economy and the environment. This committee addresses issues related to the strength and growth of the middle class, sustainable and inclusive economic development, the management of Canada’s natural resources and the fight against climate change; I and my colleagues on this committee are committed to rebuilding better by strengthening the middle class, generating clean growth and closing the gaps in our safety net. I invite you to share with me your ideas and solutions in these areas, I will be your voice and advocates at the decision-making table.
OPENING OF 2020 PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS PROGRAM
Family reunification remains a top priority for our government, and it is an important part of Canada’s immigration system. It also plays a key role in attracting, retaining and integrating immigrants. I know how important it is for families to be together, especially during difficult times. For these reasons, our Government announced earlier this week the details of the opening of the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP Program), further strengthening the Government’s commitment to reuniting families.
Over a 3-week period, from 12 p.m. EDT on October 13, 2020, to 12 p.m. EST on November 3, 2020, Canadians and permanent residents who wish to sponsor their parents and grandparents to come to Canada will have an opportunity to submit an interest to sponsor form online.
In order to ensure a fair, transparent and equal opportunity for applicants, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will randomly select potential sponsors and send them an invitation to submit an application. Selected applicants will have 60 days to submit their application.
Please see this website for more details.
Maison Marie-Louise is a francophone community house located in our riding, which, through its reception and activities, supports and equips homes in their journey.
Today, the Marie-Louise House is calling on residents of Ottawa-Vanier who would have a television set to donate, small appliances, mittens, coats, and boots; to contact them at 613-746-9046, so that they can help families in need.
Our government recognizes that plastic pollution harms Canadians and their communities. In fact, only 9% of plastic in Canada gets recycled, with the remaining 91% contaminating our waterways with chemicals, harming our wildlife, and creating microplastics that end up in our drinking water.
For this reason, our government announced a plan to achieve zero plastic waste by 2030. Part of our strategy involves banning harmful single-use plastic items that are difficult to recycle like plastic bags, straws, six-pack rings, and plastic food containers. A full list of items is available in the discussion paper Proposed Integrated Management Approach to Plastic Products to Prevent Waste and Pollution, which is now open for comments from Canadians.
To ensure transparency, our government will be working closely with provinces and territories to implement these measures fairly, while strengthening existing recycling and reuse programs. We are also introducing new requirements for recycled content, which will boost investments in recycling infrastructure and encourage clean innovation in sectors like the manufacturing industry.
I am very pleased to be able to share this good news with the residents of Ottawa-Vanier.