Office of the Honourable Mona Fortier, M.P. Ottawa-Vanier
Come join our dedicated and dynamic team! The office of Hon. Mona Fortier, the
Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier, is currently looking for a dynamic and creative
candidate who has the initiative to fill a full-time Director position. The candidacy of all
interested persons will be examined; however, only those selected for an interview will
PURPOSE: Working in a challenging, variable and fast-paced environment, the Director
will oversee the operations the constituency and Parliament Hill offices, and will provide
strategic advice on matters relating to Ottawa-Vanier.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the Member of Parliament, the Director
will be responsible for working proactively, collaboratively and strategically to lead the
constituency office and the Hill office, as follows:
• Establishing and tracking milestones for Ottawa-Vanier priorities;
o establish the annual plan, key steps for all priorities and monitor them;
o manage related meetings, stakeholder relations, and correspondence;
o manage and monitor local issues; and
o work with staff to develop and update key messages.
• Building and maintaining effective and collaborative relationships with interested
groups, stakeholders, constituents, staff of elected officials at all levels of
government, and staff in various Minister’s Offices.
• Perform Human Resources functions of both the Hill and Community Offices,
including recruitment, salary guidelines and performance management.
• Monitor and brief the Member of Parliament on several core areas:
o Parliamentary Affairs
o Stakeholder Relations and Outreach / Events / Meetings
o Case Work
o Volunteer Coordination and Engagement
• Provide oversight of the Member’s budget.
• Providing regular updates to Member on activities and issues, through daily
conference calls, weekly written reports and regular meetings as required.
• Manage and implement special projects as outlined by the MP.
• Handle sensitive constituent issues (other than casework).
• Other duties as required.
LOCATION OF WORK: Constituency Office (233 Montreal Road, Ottawa, Ontario,
K1L 6C7) and Hill Office (Room 425, Confederation Building). Please note that the
Director must maintain a presence at the constituency office while ensuring the proper
functioning of the Hill office.
WORKING HOURS: Full time. Generally, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with
occasional evenings and weekends.
SUPERVISOR: The Honorable Mona Fortier, Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier
START DATE: End of January / Beginning of February 2021
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• Undergraduate degree in public administration, political science, business
administration, communications or a related field. A master's degree in a related
discipline would be an asset.
• At least eight years of experience in the public or non-profit sector, or as an
• Knowledge of the Ottawa-Vanier riding, including key stakeholders,
communities, challenges and opportunities in the riding.
• Experience in managing people or budgets.
• Great analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and high-quality
• Ability to stand out in a dynamic and challenging environment, to juggle multiple
priorities and to function well under pressure.
• Ability to function well, both independently and as a member of a group.
• Consistent good judgment.
• Strong understanding of the federal government's decision-making process and
the parliamentary system.
• High level language skills and bilingualism (English and French) is preferred
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should send their CV and cover letter to [email protected]
with the subject line “Director Position”, no later than January 20th, 2021. Only
individuals who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.