Director Position - Come join our team!
October 29, 2021
Office of the Honourable Mona Fortier, M.P. Ottawa-Vanier
Come join our dedicated and dynamic team! The office of Hon. Mona Fortier, the Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier, is currently looking for a dynamic and creative candidate who has the initiative to fill a full-time Director position. The candidacy of all interested persons will be examined; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
PURPOSE: Working in a challenging, variable and fast-paced environment, the Director will oversee the operations the constituency and Parliament Hill offices, and will provide strategic advice on matters relating to Ottawa-Vanier.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the Member of Parliament, the Director will be responsible for working proactively, collaboratively and strategically to lead the constituency office and the Hill office, as follows:
- Establishing and tracking milestones for Ottawa-Vanier priorities; establish the annual plan, key steps for all priorities and monitor them; manage related meetings, stakeholder relations, and correspondence; manage and monitor local issues; and work with staff to develop and update key messages.
- Establishing the issues and priorities for the National Capital Region in collaboration with the NCR caucus members offices.
- Building and maintaining effective and collaborative relationships with interested groups, stakeholders, constituents, staff of elected officials at all levels of government, and staff in various Minister’s Offices.
- Perform Human Resources functions of both the Hill and Community Offices, including recruitment, salary guidelines and performance management.
- Monitor and brief the Member of Parliament on several core areas:
- Parliamentary Affairs and Correspondence
- Stakeholder Relations and Outreach / Events / Meetings, Case Work, and Communications
- Volunteer Coordination and Engagement
- Provide oversight of the Member’s budget.
- Providing regular updates to Member on activities and issues, through daily conference calls, weekly written reports and regular meetings as required.
- Manage and implement special projects as outlined by the MP.
- Handle sensitive constituent issues (other than casework).
- Other duties as required.
LOCATION OF WORK: Constituency Office (233 Montreal Road, Ottawa, Ontario,
K1L 6C7) and Hill Office (Room 435, Confederation Building). Please note that the Director must maintain a presence at the constituency office while ensuring the proper functioning of the Hill office.
WORKING HOURS: Full time. Generally, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with occasional evenings and weekends.
SUPERVISOR: The Honorable Mona Fortier, Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier
START DATE: Mid-November 2021
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Undergraduate degree in public administration, political science, business administration, communications or a related field. A master's degree in a related discipline would be an asset.
- At least five years of experience in the public or non-profit sector, or as an entrepreneur.
- Knowledge of the Ottawa-Vanier riding, including key stakeholders, communities, challenges and opportunities in the riding.
- Experience in managing people or budgets.
- Great analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and high-quality interpersonal skills.
- Ability to stand out in a dynamic and challenging environment, to juggle multiple priorities and to function well under pressure.
- Ability to function well, both independently and as a member of a group.
- Consistent good judgment.
- Strong understanding of the federal government's decision-making process and the parliamentary system.
- High level language skills and bilingualism (English and French) is preferred
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should send their CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Director Position”, no later than November 8, 2021. Only individuals who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.